Most people keep a scale in their bathroom. Some hide it away under the sink, while others keep it prominently displayed on the floor so they remember to use it. In the past it was normal for every home to have a bathroom scale, but today, many people don’t consider the benefits of using a scale to assist in achieving health goals. There are many reasons why you need a bathroom scale, and many go beyond providing your weight in kilograms or pounds, they can also provide other measurements too.
When purchasing a bathroom scale you want to buy the best on the market. Most scales today are electronic. Remember the old scales from the last century? They worked on a lever principle that utilized balances that were fixed on a pivot. These scales could questionably be out by as much as ten pounds at any given time.
Why You Need to Buy a Bathroom Scale
Here are a few reasons why you need to buy a bathroom scale.
- Upgrade from your old scale. Chances are your old scale is rusting, looks old and dinghy, and just doesn’t provide an accurate reading. It may even be big and bulky and take up too much space on the floor.
- Use it to achieve your weight loss goals. A good electronic or digital scale will accurately give you your weight each time you step on it. If you keep it in a prominent location, such as the kitchen, it will enforce your healthy menu choices.
- Use it to weigh your children. Many people love to weigh their babies and young children to keep track of their progress through life. These measurements are recorded in a family album.
- Use it to weigh your pets. It’s good to know how much your pets weigh, because if they ever become sick, the veterinarian will want to know how much weight they have lost. Sometimes pets are overweight, just like humans, so they may also need their own weight loss program.
- Use it to maintain a healthy body weight. Even people who aren’t in a fitness program may wish to ensure that their weight stays within a healthy range. These people may not weigh themselves as often, but may still wish to do a quick weigh-in after a holiday or vacation.
Best Features to Look for in a Bathroom Scale
There are many things to consider when buying your bathroom scale. You want to ensure you get one with all the features you desire, as it can take time to return a scale that you’ve discovered doesn’t really work that well for you.
- Electronic, digital, or traditional. The newer electronic and digital scales are packed with some great features. The older traditional style of scale can only do one thing, provide a weight in pounds, stone, or kilograms. Newer scales can provide other functions too, such as BMI, battery levels, and more.
- Looks. You may wish to purchase an attractive scale that you can leave out on your bathroom floor. Look for one that is easy to clean, without a lot of nooks and crannies where dust can accumulate. Some bathroom scales can also be colour coordinated to your bathroom design.
- Measurements. Besides your weight, some scales also allow you to track body fat, BMI, lean and muscle mass, and water ratio.
- Integration. Some scales allow you to connect to your WiFi network and will send information to your smartphone app. You can also connect to Cloud storage, and use the scale with a fitness tracker.
Top 5 Bathroom Scales to Buy Now
Here are five of the best choices in bathroom scales to consider for your bathroom. You’ll notice how each of them has differing features and looks, so carefully read through the list of features before making your choice.
1. Weight Gurus Bluetooth Smart Connected Body Fat Scale
- Large easy-to-read backlit LCD readout.
- Bluetooth connects to top fitness apps.
- Modern sleek black squared design with rounded corners.
- Built with 4 high-precision sensors for best accuracy.
- Provides 6 different body measurements.
The Weight Gurus have a smart scale with large surface for a person to stand on. The scale is made from an attractive large tempered, glass- plated surface. It will provide measurements for people who weigh up to 400 pounds. This scale measures 6 different measurements, including weight, body mass index, muscle mass, body fat, hydration, and bone mass. The scale has an auto shut off in case you forget to turn it off.
The underside of the scale has non-slip scratch resistant feet so you can use it on any type of surface, including hardwood floors.
This is the number one scale brand in the USA. There is an entire community you can join to assist you in your weight loss goals. Charity partners can even benefit when you have purchased one of these scales, as the company gives away a portion of their profits. There is also an auto calibration so you don’t need to mechanically adjust anything. This scale is accurate to about plus or minus 0.2 pounds.
You can sync your measurements data with your smart devices, such as the FitBit, Google Fit, Apple Health, and many smart phone fitness apps.
You don’t have to worry about the security of your information with this scale. It provides a secure 1:1 connection between your scale and app or device. And even if you don’t have your phone or device handy to sync it to, the scale will actually store your information until you are ready to sync.
The scale takes four AAA batteries, which are included in the box. The company is located in St. Louis, and offers excellent customer service in case you need assistance with your purchase.
2. Balance High Accuracy Bathroom Scale
- Large easy-to-read backlit LED screen.
- 5 year warranty.
- Affordable bathroom scale for everyone.
- Silvery grey square scale with rounded corners.
- Built with 4 high-precision sensors that work together for the most accurate reading.
The Balance scale provides for a high accuracy, and a bright backlight that can be read even when you don’t want to turn on the bathroom light early in the morning. The scale is built with a sleek glass plate over a silvery white/grey colour that will work with most bathroom decors. It has a low profile design, and its attractive looks will prevent you from feeling embarrassed about displaying it prominently on your bathroom floor.
This scale has four sensors that all work together to ensure a precise measurement within 0.2 pounds. This scale will weigh up to 400 pounds, and has a sturdy and wide platform to fit more foot types.
The balance digital scale can also auto calibrate itself. You don’t even need to turn it on or off, as it does that automatically. It has a non-slip and scratch resistant back.
The manufacturer offers a 100% money back guarantee and a 5 year warranty. There is also personal customer service offered in case you need help with your purchase. The manufacturer also gives back to a charity partner. The box includes the 2 CR2032 batteries, a guide, and an online video to get you started.
3. EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale
- Extra large black LED lighted display.
- Weighs up to 400 pounds/180 kilograms.
- Measures graduated increments of 0.2 pounds or 3 ounces.
- Unique clear modern design.
- Large tempered glass platform.
- Includes FREE EatSmart Body Tape Measure.
The EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom scale has a uniquely silver framed design with a clear, see-through glass platform. The LED has black letters over a blue backlight to make it easier for everyone to see. The glass is a thick 8 mm tempered glass. There are 4 non-slip grips on the back. The platform measures about 12” x 13”, and is 1.8” off the ground.
EatSmart is made with the latest updated EatSmart Auto-On technology. You simply stand on the scale to turn it on, and it also auto turns off. There is also a tape measure included, so you have a kit to manage your weight loss goals.
The scale is made with the latest sensor tech in 4 high precision sensors that provide readings up to 400 pounds or 180 kilograms, and graduated increments of 0.2 lbs and 3 ounces. If you wish to switch from kilograms to pounds, there is a button under the scale to do so, and it will remember your preferences.
The scale can also auto-calibrate. This is a handy feature to have, as many people like to store their scales in an upright position to save on space in the bathroom.
The manufacturer provides a 100% money back guarantee on this scale and excellent customer service. There are over 23,000 positive reviews on this scale. The scale takes 4 AAA batteries which are included in the box.
4. Etekcity Digital Body Weight Scale
- Shiny, elegant black and white colour and square design, with blue backlight.d
- Weighs up to 400 lbs or 180 kilograms.
- Slim, low profile.
- Auto on/off.
- Provides immediate readings.
The Etekcity Digital Body Weight Scale is made with Step-On technology. You only have to step on it, and it’ll immediately turn on and provide a reading. You don’t even have to turn it off as it will do that automatically. You’ll find that this scale is both stylish and functional in your bathroom, and it provides for a high level of accuracy.
This scale has been designed with the latest technology from Germany, and has four state-of-the-art sensors. The tempered glass is six millimetres thick, and is safe and comfortable. The platform is a large 12” by 12” so will good for the entire family to use.
This scale also has other functions. There is an auto-zero to reset it. It will also tell you when the batteries are running low, and it also has an overload indication. The scale measures in increments of up to 0.2 inches and 0.1 kilograms.
Etekcity offers a one year warranty and lifetime support on this item. This scale does not have auto calibration, but the best and fastest way to do it is to simply step on and then step off the scale when it displays “0”.
5. Digital Bathroom Scale by Vive Precision
- Attractive graduated silver colour.
- Provides accuracy to 0.2 lbs.
- Easy-to-read ultra bright backlit display.
- Measures 12” x 12”.
- Tempered glass.
The Vive Precision Digital Bathroom Scale has an attractive clear tempered glass over a graduated silvery grey colour. The numbers are easy to read, though not as large as some of the other scales in this review. What’s good to know is that each of the scales sold by Vive have been individually tested for accuracy. This scale will measure weight up to 330 lbs, in 0.2 increments. The minimum weight is about ten pounds, in case you want to weigh babies or pets. You can also switch from pounds to stone to kilograms if you wish through the use of a push button toggle.
The backlight and the numbers are simple to read in the dark. The glass is six millimetres thick, and has been tempered for safety, with a sturdy large platform. The scale will be easy to wipe down for cleaning. The scale is 0.75 inches tall.
This scale is like many others of its type, so all you do is simply stand on it to turn it on, and step off it and it will automatically turn off.
There is a two year warranty on the Vive Precision Scale. The scale has been FDA approved.
Most people want a simple scale that provides the most accurate weight measurement. Any of these 5 scales is sure to assist you in your weight loss goals, but if you’re seeking connectivity in a bathroom scale, the Weight Gurus Connected Scale may be exactly what you need to buy.
If your goal is to lose weight this year, read our reviews carefully. Soon you’ll discover how shopping for the best bathroom scale will help you in losing weight and sticking to your New Year’s goals.